Senior Engineer, Backend
Full-Time | Remote
The Senior Engineer, Backend owns all software development and issue resolution for the APIs powering Opportunity Education’s four web and mobile applications that power Quest Forward Learning in schools in the US and overseas.
The Senior Engineer, Backend is responsible for the following activities and outcomes:
- Review/analyze requirements, designs, and specifications and provide appropriate feedback, from a backend engineering perspective, to the product design team, to reflect backend priorities and needs. These reviews include the “sanity check” events that are essential to our software development process.
- Develop suitable architectural models for integrating front-end applications with our backend infrastructure, and work closely with other engineers on finalizing such architectural plans.
- Implement prioritized features using approved designs and the accepted architectural approach. The engineer will implement features with a high degree of fidelity to product designs and functional specifications, and high levels of code test coverage.
- Resolve issues identified during the QA process quickly and effectively, working closely with our QA Engineers.
- Implement performance monitoring tools and the necessary infrastructure to monitor app stability and performance on an ongoing basis, and improve stability and performance as necessary.
- On an ongoing basis, research best practices for web application engineering, and propose any practices that could reduce cycle times and/or increase product quality to the Platform team leadership.
The Opportunity Education team is distributed across various US and overseas locations. To work effectively, the Senior Engineer, Backend should display the following characteristics:
- Strong attention to detail
- High standard of quality and ability to evaluate your own work critically
- Commitment to timeliness and deadlines established by the organization
- Ability to work very efficiently on your own, and know when to reach out and collaborate
- Willingness to work productively with interdisciplinary teams
- Eagerness to develop and share new ideas
- Ability and commitment to give and receive thoughtful and respectful feedback and critiques
- Have strong beliefs, loosely held, about what is best for our products and our end users
- Excellent communication skills
- 5+ years of software development experience, or relevant equivalent experience
- Strong experience with Ruby on Rails, automated testing frameworks, and related tools typically used for server-side application development
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, with a focus on computer science
- Professional experience with relational databases
- Experience using Git in a workplace environment
- Strong proficiency with agile software development methodologies
- Experience with application performance monitoring and log analytics tools, e.g. New Relic
The Senior Engineer, Backend reports to the Director, Quest Forward Platform and collaborates closely with all others on the Platform Team and immediate stakeholders.
How to Apply
Submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Professional Learning Specialist
Full-Time | Remote | Position Location: Florida
The Professional Learning Specialist helps educators successfully adopt Quest Forward Learning in their schools. The Specialist helps school personnel deeply understand the Quest Forward model and curriculum and transform both their own practices and school to better support student growth. Quest Forward Learning offers high-quality secondary education in schools across the US.
The Professional Learning Specialist is responsible for the following:
Creates scalable and model-aligned professional learning systems and supports, both synchronous and asynchronous, for a growing network of Quest Forward Learning schools and individuals in Opportunity Education’s School Network.
Provides remote or in-person coaching to teachers in the Opportunity Education’s School Network.
Reviews school-level activity and performance data on a regular basis and identify needs.
Coordinates and facilitates ongoing staff development opportunities, in collaboration with Academica and internal Opportunity Education teams, that employ research-based practices for adult learning.
Completes post-event reports to summarize key insights.
Composes tailored professional learning opportunities and materials to mentors and school leaders.
Identifies and develops training materials for educators and school staff implementing Quest Forward Learning.
Collaborates with internal Opportunity Education teams to communicate curriculum resources and platform releases to active organizations. Serves as a primary liaison between internal teams and teachers.
Participates actively in Opportunity Education team meetings, internal training, and check-ins.
Represents Opportunity Education both regionally and nationally through publications, social media activity, meetups, and conferences.
We are looking for a professional who can confidently lead a variety of workshops and webinars for adult learners and who also has high-school classroom teaching experience. The ideal candidate can coach and manage engagements across multiple schools, enjoys teaching and learning, and is flexible and a team player.
The Opportunity Education Quest Forward Learning Team is distributed across various US locations. To work effectively, the Specialist should display the following characteristics:
Strong attention to detail
High standard of quality and ability to evaluate your own work critically
Comfort and experience with innovative classroom environments in grades 9–12
Commitment to timeliness and deadlines established by the organization
Ability to work very efficiently on your own, and know when to reach out and collaborate
Willingness to work productively with interdisciplinary teams
Eagerness to develop and share new ideas
Ability and commitment to give and receive thoughtful and respectful feedback and critiques
Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
5+ years of high school teaching, professional training and/or support experience
Required Location: Central or South Florida, USA
High level of facility and comfort with technology
The Professional Learning Specialist reports to Opportunity Education’s Director of Professional Learning and works closely with the Director of Opportunity Education’s Florida School Network.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and any other relevant materials to email@example.com.